1. Orion
  2. Love Fool Sherlock Holmes The Voice
  3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (COD4)
  4. Friday, 26 June 2020
  5.  Subscribe via email
I read this article this morning about KD ratios and how its killing the Call of Duty multiplayer game:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/25/call-of-duty-kd-ratio-problem/

and it got me thinking about something that was discussed briefly in recent forum thread about how the vast majority of players on TDM dont play a team game...instead playing for their own KD ratio...not caring one way or the other if the team wins or not. I suspect the same would be true if we ran DOM or CTF.

After reading the article I thought that the answer would be relatively simple: Measure FFA success through KD ratio and the team games in Team Wins v Losses, as a ratio. Im not sure it can be done server side, but seems an easy answer for the developers.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Sharky
Game Server Admin
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I play to have a good time. As we all know im not a team player so k/d is all i go for win or loose.
Comment
Orion
Game Server Admin
Votes
Undo
Of course a KD ratio is important in TDM but not necessarily so for Dom or CTF. It was mainly the article I was making a critique for, i added the comment about the forum thread because it was relevant. It seems that its a problem in the team games - particularly in the newer CoD games. The article states that when the game sets up - its perhaps a 3 v 3 game - if a player starts getting killed and their overall KD ratio is suffering, they would just quit. Because losing one player in a 3 v 3 games has such a massive impact in the rest of the game, it seems the game is effectively ruined because someone has quit.

We definitely dont have that problem in TDM on OGHF servers and I dont know if changing the ratio to games won vs games lost (by the team) would have any effect to the way people play anyway.

Just a comment on the article.
Comment
Votes
Undo
On a similar theme, I've often wondered if we would be better off ditching xlrstats.

For most people, if they bother at all, it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference but for some, I suspect, it is all they play for, at the detriment of the game overall.
Comment
Orion
Game Server Admin
Votes
Undo
On a similar theme, I've often wondered if we would be better off ditching xlrstats.

For most people, if they bother at all, it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference but for some, I suspect, it is all they play for, at the detriment of the game overall.

I dont think anyone would stop playing if we didnt have xlr stats, but I could take a guess at least 6 people I could name that keep a very close eye on it. Even so, I dont think it would make any difference at all to their gameplay if we remove it.
Comment
Votes
Undo
Same as Sharky, I play just to have a bit of fun, but have a different approach. I will go for as many kills as possible, and hope at the end it outweighs the deaths. Of course in TDM you play to win, but I dont think many play as "a team" and why or how could they? If it was possible for someone to be telling others where to go what to do, not sure who would want that, ive had people in game telling me i should select silent perk or whatever, just makes me think more that I dont want it. Everyone has different styles, and don't really see how it really affects OGHF servers. I dont look at my ratios (probably a good thing), but dont have any problem with anyone who can hide away somewhere and get 6 kills in a game without dying, I may just end up with 1 more kill than death, and its added something to the team score, or very pleasing when you get the last kill that is the difference between a win or loss, even though I had 6 more deaths than kills. I like to see that ive added more than given away during a game, but try and play to win, just sometimes how I play doesnt work, sometimes it does. I think the vast majority of players want to win, but dont study the scoresheet at the end thinking someone , or themselves should have done something different.

I think also that many times players who are watching their KDR benefit from the ones who don't, and makes a better game, after all its not chess.

Of course, sometimes doesnt appear correct at the end of FFA that someone with 40 kills and 50 deaths is first, and another with 38 kills and 15 deaths is second... but few seconds later, who remembers and we are off again....
Comment
Votes
Undo
TDM is a difficult game to play as a team as there are so many different players and styles each map. The only way it could be played as a team is with regular players on a team all the time and with team speak. You would need run and gunners, snipers and stealth players to compliment each other.
As for K/D ratio as long as i get more kills than deaths I am happy. Being a run and gunner I tend to get a lot of deaths anyway compared to a sniper or camper who has generally a lower kill rate but a very low death rate.
As to winning or not again, everyone likes to win, but it doesn't really matter if you lose as long as you are having fun.
Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!