Wednesday, 31 July 2024
  10 Replies
  699 Visits
BAIT
set the post as Normal priority — 1 month ago
BAIT
set the type of the post as  Technical — 1 month ago
First question I always ask is "what do you intend to use it for ?" if you only play CoD then I would not bother with more RAM
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
Roger, it's kind of an everyday everything computer. Like now.

Thanks, Awol, I'm open to suggestions. I know my way around them a little but nothing like you guys. Thanks for the help and suggestions men. I have time to figure one out. Cheers!
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
take a look at hardware review sites like Tom's Hardware to get an idea of how much performance you can expect for the money you spend.
test the limits of your current hardware - run the frame counter most games have, steam has a frame counter in it's overlay that works for most games, you want to see your frame rate stay above your monitors refresh rate for the games you play and the graphics settings you run them at. Run a hardware monitor while your gaming and check it when you're done playing, you want to check your temps that nothing is clocking down from running too hot as well as to see if you have the cooling capacity to overclock. check the usage levels of the hardware particularly the cpu and gpu if either are running at 100% it's a limit to the performance you need to run the games.
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 3D AM5 CPU
Kingston 16gb x 2 dual kit 6000mts DDR5
Nvidia 3060 12gb ( ran short of funds for the intended GPU
4 x 2tb M.2 1 x 1tb SSD 1 x 4tb HDD 3 x 2tb HDD IN RAID config.

Use every day pc etc!
Attachments (1)
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi, I heard there are new AMD chips coming out this month and to wait a bit for the older chips to drop in price.

Tom's Hardware
https://www.tomshardware.com › PC Components › CPUs
Jul 24, 2024 — The company will now launch the Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 5 9600X processors on August 8, while the higher-end Ryzen 9 9950X and Ryzen 9 9900X ....
Votes
Undo
Wonder if they'll launch an X3D version of the 9900X and 9950X
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am using a mini-cube PC you find on Aliexpress for WaW. THought not the best but it works with decent internet connection.

Intel N100 Celeron
16GB RAM
1TB SSD
Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics
Wireless Internet
Price - USD 160

This works for my small workspace at home but if you can afford the space, get a ATX build minimally.

6.8cm x 6.8cm x 3.5cm I think
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
Heya B8, nice to see you upgrade ;) I would personally stay clear of the 13th and 14th gen Intels with all that's goin on, and go for a 7800X3D with a 7900XT or 7800XT depending on your use case.
If you need to do some producttivity work too, consider a 7900X or up.

Recently, I just bought a new rig too, 7950X3d with a 7900xtx. Going all AMD because of superior Wayland support (for my Sway-wm desktop) and MESA drivers on Linux being just better. Opted for the5950x3d for gaming andalso developing with a bunch of docker containers (kafka, mysql and ngix) Gaming on linux is fairly decent; DOOM 16 and DOOM Iternal and I get higher FPS than Windows.

As Rog mentioned; consider your use case. Do not future proof too much I guess. For purely gaming I'd say 7800x3d with 32 GB of random cl36 6ghz ram and a decent GPU. WAnt raytracing? get NVIdia? Don'ty care about raytracing; get yourself a 7900XT or even an 7900XTX which would give you very good performance for a few 100 EUR less.

Enjoy your journey!
1 month ago
·
Votes
Undo
Perhaps now wait for the high-end 9000 series. Maybe even the X3d ones. Unsure when they will come though.
Attachments (1)
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.